One of the pleasures of strolling the streets of Owego is to enjoy the many historic old homes. Many of these homes are meticulously maintained, probably at significant cost to the owners. We are grateful for their diligence in protecting these beauties from the ravages of time. Here are a few photographs of some homes showing their architectural variety. (More will be added here later.)
This Mansard Roof style home was built in 1872 and owned by Charles Stebbins. It was later occupied by Lyman Truman, successful business man, NYS Senator, and President of the First National Bank of Owego. The front door is topped with a beautiful arched transom. Heavy brackets and elegant decorative accents add to the house’s character.
Built in 1836 by Dr. Ezekiel Lovejoy, this Greek Revival style home is U-shaped, unique to the area. Old photographs of the interior and exterior are available on the Library of Congress site at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=Photograph:%20ny0796
. The symmetry and pedimented gable entrance are accented by meticulous spiral topiary trees flanking the front walk.
The west wall of the Lovejoy Greek Revival home is windowless, allegedly to prevent Dr. Lovejoy’s wife from watching the arrivals and departures from the clinic next door. This story is likely apocryphal according to an architectural survey available on the Library of Congress site: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/ny/ny0700/ny0796/data/ny0796data.pdf
Built in 1878 by Dr. James Tinkham this Neo-Classical home was doubled in size by adding the entire east section in 1912. Note the small lights in upper-story windows and the hip roof.
Built between 1890 and 1905, this Colonial Revival home was built by Gurdon Pumpelly and stayed in the Pumpelly family until the 1970’s. It borrows from other styles, including the large Federal Style front entrance.
Built in 1830, this is the oldest brick home in Owego. It represents the transitional architecture between Federal and Greek Revival popular during the period. Occupants included John M. and Charles E. Parker, both State Supreme Court Justices. The home features a particularly nice leaded glass doorway with arched transom, beautifully proportioned Ionic columns on the pediment and dentils along cornices and gable.